Hyperion Solar Development 1.
Project Name: Hyperion Solar Development 1
Applicant: Hyperion Solar Development 1 (Pty) Ltd
Proposed Activity: The construction of a photovoltaic (PV) solar energy facility (SEF) with a contracted capacity of up to 75MW. The development footprint will be ~180ha and will include the following infrastructure:
- Arrays of PV panels with a capacity of up to 75MW.
- Mounting structures to support the PV panels.
- Cabling between the project components, to be laid underground where practical.
- On-site inverters.
- An on-site substation to facilitate connection between each solar energy facility and the Eskom grid.
- A new 132kV overhead power line (OHPL) between the on-site substations and the Eskom grid connection point (to be assessed in a separate Basic Assessment process).
- Battery storage mechanism with a storage capacity of up to 300MWh.
- Water purification plant.
- Site Offices and Maintenance Buildings, including workshop areas for maintenance and storage.
- Batching plant.
- Temporary laydown areas.
- Internal access roads and fencing around the development area.
The applicant is furthermore proposing to either upgrade the existing T26 gravel road or construct a new access road of the T25 gravel road which will provide access to the project site via the N14.
Location: The Remaining Extent of the Farm Lyndoch 432 is situated ~16km north of Kathu in the Northern Cape Province. The proposed projects fall within the jurisdiction of the Gamagara Local Municipality and within the greater John Taolo Gaetsewe District Municipality.
Application for Environmental Authorisation: Separate applications for Environmental Authorisation (EA) in terms of the National Environmental Management Act (No. 107 of 1998) (NEMA) and 2014 EIA Regulations (GNR 326) are being undertaken for the projects. Each application is being supported by a separate Scoping and Environmental Impact Assessment (S&EIA) process.
Scoping Report Available for Review: A Scoping Report is available for review and comment. The report is available at the Kathu Public Library (1 Hendrik van Eck Road), from 24 October 2018 – 23 November 2018. The report is also available for download on www.savannahsa.com. The due date for written comments is 23 November 2018. To obtain further information on the projects and to register on the project’s database, please submit your name, contact information and interest in the projects, in writing, to Savannah Environmental:
To obtain further information and register on the project database, please submit your name, contact information and interest in the project to:
Nicolene Venter of Savannah Environmental
Post: P.O. Box 148, Sunninghill, 2157 , Johannesburg
Tel: 011 656 3237 | Fax: 086 684 0547
Documents for public review are available for download.
Please click email@example.com to access the document.