Lichtenburg 1 PV Facility, North West Province
Project Name: Lichtenburg 1 PV Facility
Applicant: ABO Wind Lichtenburg 1 PV (Pty) Ltd
Proposed Activity: The development of a 100MW Photovoltaic (PV) facility and associated infrastructure on a site located approximately 12km north of Lichtenburg, in the North West Province. The PV facility will comprise the following infrastructure:
- Arrays of PV solar panels with a contracted capacity of up to 100MW.
- Mounting structures (utilising either fixed-tilt / static, single-axis tracking, or double-axis tracking systems).
- On-site inverters to convert power from Direct Current (DC) to Alternating Current (AC), and a 132kV on-site substation.
- A new 132kV power line between the on-site substation and the Eskom grid connection point. Two alternatives are currently being considered in this regard:
- Alternative 1 (preferred alternative): Development of a power line from the project to Eskom’s Watershed Main Transmission Substation (MTS), located approximately 6km south of the project site.
- Alternative 2: Looping-in / Looping-out to one of the existing power lines traversing the western extent of the project site.
- Cabling between the project’s components, to be laid underground where practical.
- Auxiliary buildings such as offices and workshop areas for maintenance and storage.
- Temporary laydown areas required during construction.
- Internal access roads and perimeter security fencing around the development area.
Project Location: The following properties have been identified for the development of the Lichtenburg 1 PV Facility and supporting grid connection infrastructure:
- Portion 06 of the Farm Zamenkomst No. 04
- Remaining Extent of Portion 02 of the Farm Zamenkomst No. 04
- Portion 10 of the Farm Lichtenburg Town & Townlands No. 27
- Remainder of Portion 01 of the Farm Lichtenburg Town & Townlands No. 27
Application for Environmental Authorisation: An application for Environmental Authorisation (EA) in terms of the National Environmental Management Act (No. 107 of 1998) (NEMA) and 2014 EIA Regulations (GNR 326) is being undertaken for the project. The application is being supported by a Scoping and Environmental Impact Assessment (S&EIA) process.
Public Participation Process: Savannah Environmental (Pty) Ltd are the independent environmental consultants responsible for undertaking the EIA and Public Participation process in support of the application for EA. To obtain further information on the project and to register on the project’s database, please submit your name, contact information and interest in the project, in writing, to Savannah Environmental:
Nicolene Venter of Savannah Environmental
Post: P.O. Box 148, Sunninghill, 2157 , Johannesburg
Tel: 011 656 3237 | Fax: 086 684 0547
Documents for public review are available for download.
Please click email@example.com to access the document.