Lichtenburg 1 PV Facility and associated infrastructure, North West
Project Name: Lichtenburg 1 PV Facility
Applicants: ABO Wind Lichtenburg 1 PV (Pty) Ltd
Proposed Activity: The development of three 100MW Photovoltaic (PV) facilities and associated infrastructure on adjacent sites located approximately 10 to 12km north of Lichtenburg, in the North West Province. Each of the PV facilities will comprise the following infrastructure:
- Arrays of PV solar panels with a contracted capacity of up to 100MW.
- Mounting structures (utilising either fixed-tilt / static, single-axis tracking, or double-axis tracking systems).
- On-site inverters to convert power from Direct Current to Alternating Current, and a 132kV on-site substation.
- A new 132kV power line between the on-site substation and the Eskom grid connection point. Two alternatives are currently being considered in this regard:
- Alternative 1 (preferred alternative): Development of a power line from the project to Eskom’s Watershed Main Transmission Substation, located approximately 4 to 6km south of the project sites.
- Alternative 2: Looping-in / Looping-out to the existing Watershed / Zeerust 1 132kV power line traversing the area.
- Cabling between the project’s components, to be laid underground where practical.
- Auxiliary buildings such as offices and workshop areas for maintenance and storage.
- Temporary laydown areas required during construction.
- Internal access roads and perimeter security fencing around the development area.
Project Location: The following properties have been identified for the development of the Lichtenburg 1 PV Facility, and supporting grid connection infrastructure:
- Portion 06 of the Farm Zamenkomst No. 04
- Portion 23 of the Farm Houthaalbomen No. 31
- Remaining Extent of Portion 02 of the Farm Zamenkomst No. 04
- Portion 10 of the Farm Lichtenburg Town & Townlands No. 27
- Remainder of Portion 01 of the Farm Lichtenburg Town & Townlands No. 27
Application for Environmental Authorisation: Separate applications for Environmental Authorisation (EA) in terms of the National Environmental Management Act (No. 107 of 1998) (NEMA) and 2014 EIA Regulations (GNR 326) are being undertaken for the projects. Each application is being supported by a separate Scoping and Environmental Impact Assessment (S&EIA) process.
Scoping Report Available for Review: A Scoping Report is available for review and comment. The report is available at the Lichtenburg Public Library (Nelson Mandela Drive) from 24 Augsut 2018 – 25 September 2018. The report is also available for download on www.savannahsa.com. The due date for written comments is Tuesday, 25 September 2018. To obtain further information on the projects and to register on the project’s database, please submit your name, contact information and interest in the projects, in writing, to Savannah Environmental:
Rozanne Els of Savannah Environmental
Post: P.O. Box 148, Sunninghill, 2157 , Johannesburg
Tel: 011 656 3237 | Fax: 086 684 0547
Documents for public review are available for download.
In order to receive the release code to access the documents, please contact us by sending a request and your interest in this project to firstname.lastname@example.org.