Construction of Two 0.5km Lilo 132kV Chickadee Lines from The Mafube/Pan Traction to the New Zonnebloem Switching Station, Mpumalanga Province
Project Name: Construction of two 500m loop-in-loop-out (LILO) 132kv Chickadee power lines from existing 132kV Mafube/Pan traction power line to the newly proposed Zonnebloem switching station.
Applicant: Eskom Holdings SOC Limited (Eskom Distribution, Mpumalanga Operating Unit)
Proposed Activity: This project will consist of the following activities and infrastructure:
- Construction and operation of the new 40MVA Zonnebloem 132/22kV switching station and Ancillaries (including a communication tower, metering station, laydown area, access roads, control building and associated infrastructure).
- Two 500m 132kV LILO Chickadee power lines from the existing 132kV Mafube/Pan traction power line to the newly proposed Zonnebloem switching station. Each power line will have a 32m wide servitude.
Location: The project site includes the Remaining Extent of the Farm Patattafontein 412, the Remaining Extent of the Farm Zevenfontein 415 and Portion 4 of the Farm Gemsbokfontein 411 located within the Steve Tshwete Local Municipality and within the greater Nkangala District Municipality, Mpumalanga Province.
Basic Assessment Process: In terms of Sections 24 and 24D of NEMA, as read with the EIA Regulations 2014 of GNR326, a Basic Assessment Process is required to be undertaken in support of an application for Environmental Authorisation for the proposed project. The following activities will be applied for:
- GN327, Activity 11 (i): The development of facilities or infrastructure for the transmission and distribution of electricity (i) outside urban areas or industrial complexes with a capacity of more than 33 but less than 275 kilovolts;
- GN327, Activity 24(ii): The development of a road (ii) with a reserve wider than 13,5m, or where no reserve exists where the road is wider than 8 metres.
- GN327, Activity 27: The clearance of an area of 1 hectares or more, but less than 20 hectares of indigenous vegetation.
- GN327, Activity 28(ii): Residential, mixed, retail, commercial, industrial or institutional developments where such land was used for agriculture, game farming, equestrian purposes or afforestation on or after 01 April 1998 and where such development (ii) will occur outside an urban area, where the total land to be developed is bigger than 1 hectare.
An application for Environmental Authorisation for the Project will be lodged with the National Department of Environmental Affairs (DEA), as the competent authority. Savannah Environmental is undertaking the required environmental impact assessment and public participation process.
Basic Assessment Report available for Review: A Basic Assessment Report is available for review and comment. The report is available at the Gerlad Sekoto Public Library (Middelburg Public Library) (Cnr of Wonders Street and Walter Sisulu Street) from the revised review date from 13 April 2018 – 15 May 2018. The report is also available for download on www.savannahsa.com. The due date for written comment is 15 May 2018.
To obtain further information and register on the project database, please submit your name, contact information and interest in the project to:
Gabriele Stein of Savannah Environmental
Post: P.O. Box 148, Sunninghill, 2157 , Johannesburg
Tel: 011 656 3237 | Fax: 086 684 0547
Documents for public review are available for download.
In order receive a password to access the documents, please contact us by sending a request and your interest in this project to email@example.com