Hartebeest Wind Energy Facility
HARTEBEEST WIND ENERGY FACILITY, WESTERN CAPE PROVINCE
Project Name: Hartebeest Wind Energy Facility and Associated Infrastructure, Western Cape Province.
Applicant: Hartebeest Wind Farm (Pty) Ltd.
Proposed Amendments: Hartebeest Wind Farm (Pty) Ltd is requesting the Department of Environmental Forestry and Fisheries (DEFF) to amend the turbine specifications, in the environmental authorisation dated 28 June 2017, (as amended) as follows:
- An increase in rotor diameter for each turbine from up to 160 to between 110 to 200m.
- An increase in hub height from up to 130 m to between 90 to 150m.
- An amendment to the property description to reflect the property description as per the Conveyance Certificate.
- An update to the contact details of the Holder of the Environmental Authorisation.
The overall generation capacity of the WEF will remain 160MW and the number of turbines will not increase from 25 turbines. No additional properties have been included or excluded as the layout remains unchanged.
Project Locations: The proposed site is located within the Swartland Local Municipality, which falls under the jurisdiction of the West Coast District Municipality on the following farm portions as per the Conveyance Certificate:
- Farm Zwartfontein 414 – Portion 8, 13, 20, 21, 23 and Remainder of Portion 11, 12, 17 and 18
- Farm Zwartfontein 416 – Portion 1, 5, 7 and Remainder of Portion 3
- Farm Hartebeestfontein 412 – Portion 6 and Remainder of Portion 2
- Farm 1066 – Portion 0
- Farm Tontelberg 424 – Portion 1
- Farm Biesjesfontein 413 – Portion 9
In terms of Condition 7 of the Environmental Authorisation dated 28 June 2017 and Regulation 31 of the EIA Regulations of December 2014, as amended, it is possible for an applicant to apply, in writing, to the competent authority for a change or deviation from the project description to be approved.
Motivation Report available for public review and comment: Savannah Environmental has compiled a Motivation Report in support of the Amendment Application. The Motivation Report is available for public review and comment between Friday, 08 November 2019 and Monday, 09 December 2019. The Motivation Report can be downloaded from Savannah Environmental’s website (https://www.savannahsa.com/public-documents/energy-generation/). The due date for written comment is Monday, 09 December 2019.
To obtain further information, please submit your name, contact information and interest in the project, in writing, to Savannah Environmental:
Nicolene Venter at Savannah Environmental
P.O. Box 148, Sunninghill, 2157
Tel: 011 656 3237
Fax: 086 684 0547
Documents for public review are available for download.
Please click email@example.com to access the document.