Establishment of Various Supporting Infrastructure Within the Authorised Msenge Emoyeni Wind Energy Facility, Eastern Cape Province
Applicant: Amakhala Emoyeni Renewable Energy (Pty) Ltd
Proposed Activity: The authorised Msenge Emoyeni Wind Energy Facility (WEF) is located approximately 20km
south of the town of Bedford in the Eastern Cape Province. The addition of various infrastructure has been initiated by Amakhala Emoyeni Renewable Energy (Pty) Ltd in response to the procurement process initiated by the Independent Power Producer Office (IPP Office) for the procurement of up to 2000MW of dispatchable generation capacity from a range of technologies.
The authorised project will entail the addition of the following infrastructure:
- A Battery Energy Storage System (BESS) of up to a maximum of 800 MW/h export power to be located adjacent to the authorised substation for Msenge Wind Energy Facility and within the authorised substation clearance area.
- The upgrading and widening of all authorised access roads to a width of up to 9m and a maximum of 12m at corners for the construction phase of the Wind Energy Facility.
- Construction of 3 new watercourse crossings and the upgrading of existing watercourse crossings within the authorised Msenge Emoyeni Wind Energy Facility of approximately 9 m in width, and the construction of infrastructure (culverts) within these watercourses.
- Increase to the concrete foundation of each wind turbine from 20m x 20m x 2m to 30m x30m x 5m.
- 132kV overhead double circuit powerline approximately 4km long in a 300m wide assessment corridor, from authorised onsite substation via a loop in loop out into new onsite substation.
- Additional onsite substation and compound clearance area (200 m x 200 m).
Project Location: The following properties have been identified for the establishment of various infrastructure:
- Portion 1 of Farm 220 (Brak Fontein)
- Farm 221 (Leeuwfontein)
- Farm 225
- Portion 2 of farm 223 (Paarde Kloof)
- Remainder of Farm 223 (Paarde Kloof)
- Remainder of farm 227 (Wilgem Bush)
- Portion 3 of Farm 203 (Platt House)
- Portion 2 of Farm 222
Application for Environmental Authorisation: An Application for Environmental Authorisation (EA) in terms of the National Environmental Management Act (No. 107 of 1998) (NEMA) and 2014 EIA Regulations (GNR 326) has been submitted to the Department of Environment, Forestry and Fisheries for the proposed supporting infrastructure, and is supported by a basic assessment process.
Public Participation Process: Savannah Environmental (Pty) Ltd has been appointed as the independent environmental consultant responsible for undertaking the Basic Assessment and Public Participation processes in support of this application for EA. To obtain further information on the project and to register on the project database, please submit your name, contact information and interest in the project, in writing, to: