Sirius Solar PV Project Three, Northern Cape
Proposed Activity: The construction of two (2) separate photovoltaic (PV) solar PV facilities, each with a contracted capacity of up to 100MW. The development footprint of each facility will be approximately 280ha and will include the following infrastructure:
- Arrays of PV panels with a contracted capacity of up to 100MW.
- Mounting structures to support the PV panels.
- Cabling between the project components, to be laid underground where practical.
- On-site inverters to convert the power from a direct current (DC) to an alternating current (AC).
- An on-site substation to facilitate the connection between the solar PV facility and the Eskom electricity grid.
- A new 132kV overhead power line to connect each solar PV facility to the Upington Main Transmission Substation.
- Internal 11kV/132kV power lines connecting the 132kV power line to the on-site substation.
- Conservancy tank ~10m³ in capacity.
- Site offices and maintenance buildings, including workshop areas for maintenance and storage.
- Temporary laydown areas.
- Internal access roads and fencing around the development area.
- A 2 500m2 temporary concrete batching plant.
Location: both PV facilities will be located within the Remaining Extent of the Farm Tungsten Lodge No. 638, located ~20km south-west of Upington in the Northern Cape Province. The proposed developments fall within the jurisdiction of the Kai !Garib and Dawid Kruiper local municipalities in the greater ZF Mgcawu District Municipality.
Environmental Impact Assessment Process: In terms of Sections 24 and 24D of the National Environmental Management Act (No 107 of 1998) and Government Notice R114, as read with Government Notice R324 – R327, as amended, a Basic Impact Assessment is required for the development of each solar PV facility. Savannah Environmental (Pty) Ltd is undertaking the required environmental impact assessment and public participation process for each project.
To obtain further information and register on the project database, please submit your name, contact information and interest in the project to:
P.O. Box 148, Sunninghill, 2157
Tel: 011 656 3237
Fax: 086 684 0547
Documents for public review are available for download.
Please click email@example.com to access the document.