Vrede and Rondavel Photovoltaic Solar Energy Facility, Battery Energy Storage System and Associated Infrastructure, Free State Province
Applicant: South Africa Mainstream Renewable Power Developments (Pty) Ltd
Proposed Activity: The development of two solar photovoltaic (PV) facilities namely, Vrede 100MW Solar PV Facility and Rondavel 100MW Solar PV Facility, including Battery Energy Storage Systems (BESS) and associated infrastructure located at each facility. Infrastructures associated with each solar PV will include:
- Solar PV array comprising PV modules and mounting structures.
- Inverters and transformers.
- Underground cabling between the project components and overhead power lines (up to 33kV).
- On-site facility substation to facilitate the connection between the solar PV facility and the Eskom electricity grid.
- Battery Energy Storage System (BESS).
- Site offices and maintenance buildings, including workshop areas for maintenance and storage.
- Laydown areas and temporary man camp area.
- Access roads, internal distribution roads and fencing around the development area.
- Telecommunication infrastructure;
- Stormwater channels; and water pipelines.
Project Location: The PV solar energy facilities are located ~6km and ~11km from Kroonstad in the Moqhaka Local Municipality and within the Fezile Dabi District Municipality, Free State Province.
|Vrede PV Solar Energy Facility||Rondavel PV Solar Energy Facility|
|Remaining Extent of the Farm Vrede No. 1152||Remaining Extent of the Farm Rondavel Noord No. 1475|
|Portion 1 of the Farm Uitval No. 1104||Remaining Extent of the Farm Rondavel No. 627|
Application for Environmental Authorisation: Separate applications for Environmental Authorisation (EA) in terms of the National Environmental Management Act (No. 107 of 1998) (NEMA) and 2014 EIA Regulations (GNR 326), as amended, are being undertaken for the projects. Each application is being supported by a separate Scoping and Environmental Impact Assessment (S&EIA) process.
Scoping Reports Available for Review: The Scoping Reports and associated documentation are available for download, review and comment on the Savannah Environmental website. Visit our online stakeholder engagement platform at: https://www.savannahsa.com/public-documents/energy-generation/vrede-and-rondavel-pv-sef/. The 30-day review and comment period for the Scoping Reports is from Friday, 20 November 2020 until Monday, 11 January 2020. The final date to submit comments is Monday, 11 January 2020.
To obtain further information and register on the project database, please submit your name, contact information and interest in the project to: