NOTICE OF BASIC ASSESSMENT AND PUBLIC PARTICIPATION PROCESS FOR THE EXTENSION OF GRID CONNECTION INFRASTRUCTURE FOR THE GUNSTFONTEIN WIND FARM, NORTHERN CAPE PROVINCE
|Extension of grid connection infrastructure for the Gunstfontein Wind Farm, Northern Cape Province||Gunstfontein Wind Farm (Pty) Ltd|
Project details: Gunstfontein Wind Farm (Pty) Ltd proposes the development of a double circuit 132kV overhead power line to connect the already authorised Gunstfontein Wind Energy Facility to the national grid via the Hidden Valley substation, Northern Cape Province. The proposed grid connection infrastructure is situated approximately 38km south of Sutherland in the Karoo Hoogland Municipality, Namakwa District Municipality, Northern Cape Province.
The proposed double-circuit 132kV overhead power line will be an extension of the authorised Gunstfontein Grid connection (DEA ref.no. 14/12/16/3/3/1/1619 (as amended)) near the end point of the already authorised power line and will extend to Eskom’s Hidden Valley Transmission Substation. The proposed extension overhead power line project will consist of:
- A double circuit 132kV overhead power line consisting of two sets of cables on a single set of pylon structures.
- A 300m wide assessment corridor (150m on either side of the powerline) and a 200m assessment area around the proposed start- and end-points of the powerline, used for assessment purposes in the Basic Assessment R
- Pylons will be up to 32m in height.
- The Length of proposed overhead power line corridor is approximately 7.5 km.
- Registered servitude of up to 40m wide.
- Service tracks (jeep tracks only – no formal roads) will employ the existing Soetwater power line service track as far as possible.
- Temporary laydown area and construction camp.
Project Location: The proposed grid connection extension powerline traverses four (4) affected properties, namely:
|1) Portion 1 of the Farm Orange Fontein No. 203;||2) RE of the Farm Annex Orange Fontein No. 185;||3) RE of the Farm Leeuwe Hoek No. 183||4) The Farm De Hoop No. 202|
Basic Assessment Process: In terms of Sections 24 and 24D of NEMA, as read with the EIA Regulations 2014 of GNR 324 – R327 (as amended), a Basic Assessment process is required to obtain Environmental Authorisation for the proposed project. An application for Environmental Authorisation for the project has been lodged with the Department of Environmental Affairs (DEA), as the competent authority. Savannah Environmental is undertaking the required basic assessment and public participation process.
Basic Assessment Report Available for Review & Comment: A BA Report for the project has been compiled and is available for download, review and comment on the Savannah Environmental website: https://www.savannahsa.com/public-documents/grid-infrastructure/gunstfontein-wind-farm/. The 30-day review and comment period of the BA Report is from Friday, 4th of September until Monday, 5th of October 2020. Please submit written comments to the contact person below on or before Monday, 5th of October 2020
To obtain further information and register on the project database, please submit your name, contact information and interest in the project in writing to: