NOTICE OF AN EXTERNAL COMPLIANCE AUDIT
(SECTION 54) AND PUBLIC PARTICIPATION PROCESS:
LOPERBERG WIND FARM DEVELOPMENT, MOLTENO, EASTERN CAPE PROVINCE
Notification of Submission of Section 54(A)(3) Audit Reports to the Competent Authority
As a registered Interested and Affected Party for the Loperberg Wind Energy Facility, please be advised that in terms of Section 54(a)(3) of the EIA regulations (GNR 326, 7 April 2018), Savannah Environmental (Pty) Ltd has undertaken an external environmental compliance audit and prepared an external environmental compliance audit report assessing Loperberg Wind Farm (Pty) Ltd’s compliance with the EMPr applicable to the project.
Loperberg Wind Farm (Pty) Ltd received authorisation for the Loperberg Wind Energy Facility (WEF) on the 2nd November 2012 (DEA ref: 12/12/20/1778/2), following an application for splitting of the Dorper Wind Farm EA (DEA ref: 12/12/20/1778). The Loperberg WEF authorisation has subsequently been amended for various reasons, all of which are detailed below:
- 12/12/20/1778/2 (2012): Original EA issued for the Loperberg Wind Energy Facility (after splitting the Dorper WEF EA);
- 12/12/20/1778/2 (2013): Turbine specification amendment (hub height and rotor diameter), along with property description amendments;
- 12/12/20/1778/2/AM2 (2015): EA validity period extension;
- 12/12/20/1778/2/AM3 (2016): EA validity period extension;
- 12/12/20/1778/2/AM4 (2018): EA validity period extension;
The Loperberg Wind Energy Facility includes a maximum of 76 wind turbine units with concrete foundations, underground electrical distribution cabling between the turbines, a shared substation (between the various phases of the Dorper WEF), internal access roads of ~60km long and 6m wide, a small office and workshop, laydown areas of approximately 0.5ha and an overall generation capacity of 190MW, comprising a development area of approximately 5971.3ha. Loperberg WEF comprises the following properties, located within the Enock Mgijima Local Municipality:
- Bushman’s Hoek 3;
- Portion 7 of Farm Paardekraal 64;
- Remaining extent of Farm Uitkeyk 67;
- Portion 1 and 3 of Farm Uitkeyk 67; and
- Portion 1,2,3,4,5 and 9 of Farm Cypher Gat 69.
In terms of Section 54(A)(3) of the EIA Regulations 2014 of GNR 326, an independent external compliance audit (“S54 Audit”) is required to verify compliance towards the Environmental Management Programme (EMPr) for the project. This notification hereby notifies all potential and registered interested and affected parties, including organs of state with applicable jurisdiction as well as the competent authority, of the submission of the external compliance audit reports to the competent authority. These reports are available at https://www.savannahsa.com/public-documents/other/ for 14 days from date of this notification.
Please direct any queries, information requests or comments to the DEA compliance directorate, at the following:
- Department of Environmental Affairs (DEA) Legal Authorisations and Compliance Inspectorate
- E-mail: email@example.com
Public Participation and Social Consultant
Documents for public review are available for download.
Please click firstname.lastname@example.org to access the document.