NOTICE OF AN EXTERNAL COMPLIANCE AUDIT
(SECTION 54) AND PUBLIC PARTICIPATION PROCESS:
RHEBOKSFONTEIN WIND FARM DEVELOPMENT, DARLING, WESTERN CAPE PROVINCE
Notification of Submission of Section 54(A)(3) Audit Reports to the Competent Authority
As a registered Interested and Affected Party for the Rheboksfontein Wind Energy Facility, please be advised that in terms of Section 54(a)(3) of the EIA regulations (GNR 326, 7 April 2018), Savannah Environmental (Pty) Ltd has undertaken an external environmental compliance audit and prepared an external environmental compliance audit report assessing Moyeng Energy (Pty) Ltd’s compliance with the EMPr applicable to the project.
Moyeng Energy (Pty) Ltd received authorisation for the Rheboksfontein Wind Energy Facility (WEF) on the 2nd of February 2012 (DEA Ref: 12/12/20/1582). Since the issuance of the original EA, the Rheboksfontein WEF has been subjected to various amendments for various aspects of the project, all detailed below:
- LSA103542 (2012): Condition 41 added following upheld appeal;
- 12/12/20/1582/A1 (2014): Change of EA holder contact details;
- 12/12/20/1582/AM2 (2015): Turbine number and layout alternative amendment;
- 12/12/20/1582/AM3 (2015): EA Validity period extension;
- 12/12/20/1582/AM4 (2016): EA validity period extension; and
- 12/12/20/1582/AM5 (2019): EA validity period extension and change of the EA holder contact details;
The Rheboksfontein Wind Energy Facility (WEF) includes a maximum of 35 wind turbines with concrete foundations, electrical distribution cabling between the turbines, two on-site substations (33/132kV), internal access roads, a small office and workshop, laydown areas and an overall generation capacity of 129MW. The Rheboksfontein WEF comprises the following properties, located within the Swartland Municipality:
- The remaining extent of Farm 568 (Rheboksfontein);
- Farm 567 Nieuwe Plaats;
- Remaining extent of Farm 571 Bonteberg;
- Portion 1 of the Farm 574 Doornfontein;
- Portion 1 of the Farm 551 Plat Klip;
- Farm 1199 Groot Berg; and
- Portion 2 f the Farm 552 Slang Kop.
In terms of Section 54(A)(3) of the EIA Regulations 2014 of GNR 326, an independent external compliance audit (“S54 Audit”) is required to verify compliance towards the Environmental Management Programme (EMPr) for the project. This notification hereby notifies all potential and registered interested and affected parties, including organs of state with applicable jurisdiction as well as the competent authority, of the submission of the external compliance audit reports to the competent authority. These reports are available at https://www.savannahsa.com/public-documents/other/ for 14 days from date of this notification.
Please direct any queries, information requests or comments to the DEA compliance directorate, at the following:
- Department of Environmental Affairs (DEA) Legal Authorisations and Compliance Inspectorate
- E-mail: email@example.com
Public Participation and Social Consultant
Documents for public review are available for download.
Please click firstname.lastname@example.org to access the document.