UNLAWFUL COMMENCEMENT OR CONTINUATION OF ACTIVITIES IDENTIFIED IN TERMS OF THE ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT ASSESSMENT REGULATIONS IN TERMS OF SECTION 24G OF THE NATIONAL ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT ACT (ACT NO. 107 OF 1998, AS AMENDED)
Notice is given in terms of Section 24 (G) read together with sections 24 (F) of the National Environmental Management Act (as amended) that the Gauteng Department of Agriculture and Rural Development:
- is considering an application for rectification by GfE-MIR Alloys and Minerals SA in terms of Sections 24 (G) and 24 (F) of the National Environmental Management Amended Act (as amended); and
- for the unlawful commencement of activities listed under Government Notice R1182 of 1997 as corresponds with Government R984 of 2014 for:
- Project name: Unlawful commencement and operation of an Aluminium Recycling Plant (S24G/03/18-19/0433), Alumino-thermic Plant (S24G/03/18-19/0432), Briquetting Plant (S24G/03/18-19/0430) and Separation Plant (S24G/03/18-19/0431).
- Project description: The GfE-MIR Alloys and Minerals (Pty) Ltd (GfE-MIR) specializes in the manufacturing and marketing of alloys and minerals and associated products for the steel and foundry industries. GfE-MIR is a South African company focused on the recovery, reuse and recycling of wastes and by-products to support the local manufacturing industry. The operation reduces the amount of waste to landfill and provides an economic injection to the local area and the Ekurhuleni Municipality.
- Location: The various plants are situated within Vulcania, Brakpan, Gauteng Province.
- Date of placement of notice: 05 July 2019
- Date of commencement of the listed activity: Alumino-thermic (December 2010); Separation (December 2012); Aluminium (January 2015), and Briquetting (August 2015) Plants.
Queries regarding this matter must be referred to:
Nicolene Venter of Savannah Environmental
P.O. Box 148, Sunninghill, 2157
Tel: 011 656 3237 / Fax: 086 684 0547
Email: public email@example.com
Documents for public review are available for download.
Please click firstname.lastname@example.org to access the document.