Development of a Waste Recovery Plant at Evraz Highveld Steel Vanadium Near Witbank, Mpumalanga Province
Applicant: Anglo African Metals (Pty) Ltd
Proposed Activity: The development a disruptive technology for the economic extraction of valuable minerals from mining ore and waste materials which process offers solutions for simultaneously extracting both vanadium and titanium oxides from slag materials. The technology developed will also extract aluminium as aluminium oxide (Al2O3), magnesium as magnesium oxide (MgO) and calcium as calcium sulphate/gypsum (CaSO4). The plant will be primarily fuelled by Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) and Sasol gas.
The main infrastructure associated with the facility includes the following:
- Chemical plant area, where all process chemicals including acid are produced, stored and handled as required by the waste recovery process.
- Substation and plant utility unit as interface and controlling unit for the electricity utilised by the plant during operation.
- Slag stockpile.
- Crushing plant.
- Product area for storage of the various products produced through the recovery process.
- Reagent area, for the storage and handling of reactants utilised in the waste recovery process.
- A security area.
- Parking lot.
- Admin and control room including offices and ablutions for staff.
Location: The waste recovery plant is proposed to be located on Portion 48 of Farm No. 309. The development area is contained within the EVRAZ Highveld Steel and Vanadium property. The site is accessible directly off the R104, from the N4 turnoff near Kwa-Guqa informal settlement, approximately 17km west of eMalahleni within the eMalahleni Local Municipality, Nkangala District Municipality, Mpumalanga Province.
Environmental Impact Assessment Process: In terms of Sections 24 and 24D of the National Environmental Management Act (No 107 of 1998), as read with Government Notice R324 – R327, as amended, a Scoping and Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) process is required for the Zero Waste Recovery Solution. Savannah Environmental is undertaking the required environmental assessment and public participation process for the project. An application for the project has been lodged with the Department of Environment, Forestry and Fisheries (DEFF), as the competent authority.
To obtain further information and register on the project database, please submit your name, contact information and interest in the project to: